Who We are
Amelia Rising Sexual Violence Support Centre provides free, completely confidential support for people 12 years of age and older who have experienced sexual or gender-based violence.
We work from feminist, intersectional, anti-racist and anti-oppressive frameworks. A consent culture, based on equity, is essential to ending sexual and gender-based violence. Amelia Rising believes that by working together, honouring differences, leaning into our discomfort, and challenging ourselves that we will achieve our vision of a just social world.
Amelia Rising Sexual Violence Support Centre is a registered charity serving survivors of sexual and gender-based violence ages 12 and up in the Nipissing District.
- Support survivors to heal from sexual and gender-based violence.
- Educate and advocate for systemic and social change required to end sexual and gender-based violence.
Areas We Service
- North Bay
- East Ferris
- Sturgeon Falls
- South River (*although they have counsellors from Perry Sound that come to South River twice a week)
- Cache Bay
- Marten River
Our doors first opened in 1994 as a grassroots women’s collective. We have three main pillars of centre services: Counselling, Education and Advocacy.
Services We Currently Provide:
- Individual counselling
- Group counselling
- 24/7 Crisis Helpline
- Text/ Chat Support
- Resources to help make informed decisions
- Individual support for partners, families and friends of survivors
- Client advocacy
- Advocacy for change to end sexual violence
- Community contact navigation
- Accompaniment* to hospital or police station (*pending COVID)
- Educational workshops for awareness and training
- Public events to foster community, connection, change and advocacy.
Services We Currently Do Not Provide:
- Shelter or housing accommodations
- Medical related services, appointments or prescriptions