Take Back the Night 2021
Lighting Up The Night Together & Shedding Light on GBV
Take Back the Night is the first worldwide effort to combat sexual and gender-based violence. In the 70’s the issue of violence against women became a topic of public conversation when a number of incidents garnered media attention.
Due to the uncertainties surrounding gatherings and COVID-19, we are not able to plan a TBTN march. This year, we will be doing things a bit differently…
Join us this September 16th, 2021 at 7:00pm as we Light Up the Night Together by displaying paper luminarias in solidarity wherever you are within the Nipissing District! Participants can get a free luminaria kit from Amelia Rising or use your own supplies from home.
Join in on the conversation online by using the hashtag #NipissingTBTN on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook. Join our Facebook Event Page (HERE) for event updates and reminders.
Violence thrives in silence and in darkness. Join us in lighting up the night together.
The goal is to Take Back The Night by showing support, solidarity and light up the Nipissing District with messages, art, and commitments to ending sexual and gender-based violence. Let’s shed light on pandemic that is often silenced and pushed into the dark.
- Reserve a Luminaria Kit Here!PICK-UP: Requested luminaria kits can be picked up from our office, located at 101 Worthington St. W. Suite 215, on September 14th between 9am-4pm.
DROP-OFF: Requested luminaria kits that are not picked up will be delivered on September 15th between 9am-4pm.
- Luminaria Decorating Sept. 16th, 7pm-7:30pm (all ages). Hosted virtually. Free Luminary Kits supplied for free, link below. BYO art supplies. If this will be a barrier to participating please contact firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can figure something out!Suggested Art Supplies: craft glue/tape, safety scissors, photos/ magazines, glitter, paint, markers, crayons, gems, stickers, macaroni noodles, get creative!
- Take Back the Night Event with Guest Speakers Sept. 16th, 7:30pm-8:30pm. (18+. Folks under 18 are recommended to attend with a parent, guardian, or support person due to the nature of the content).
Perks of Registering for this Event in Advance: You will have the opportunity to engage in a Q&A discussion with our speakers, ask anonymous questions, and there will be a live prize draw at the end of the night!
Limited Registration Space Available. This event will also be live streamed on our Facebook page (accessible to those without Facebook as well) for those who cannot register in advance or if space is filled.
Luminarias/ Luminary’s are twinkling paper lanterns. Decorate your luminaria any way you’d like to express yourself and help to shed light on sexual and gender-based violence.
Click Here To Reserve a Luminary Kit (Nipissing District only) or make your own using supplies from home (paper bag and LED candle). The first 50 kits reserved will come with some extra special swag items in them! 1 kit per person in a household. (Alternatively: if you are out of town or not able to get a luminaria kit, you can make your own at home – click for ideas).
1 Luminary Kit will include:
- 1 Amelia Rising white paper lantern
- 1 LED candle
- Amelia Rising swag
- Information relevant to GBV/SV, sexual health and consent
Luminary Decorating and Self-Expression/Declaration Ideas:
- write your declaration, if comfortable and safe to do so
- write #MeToo or #WhyIDidntReport messages
- write a message to Survivors
- write/ draw coping skills or self-care ideas
- write/ draw a memory of, or message to, someone in your life who has been a victim or survivor of violence
- write/ draw what Take Back the Night means to you
- let loose and share your artistic/ creative skills (paint, draw, colour, cutout shapes, bedazzle, use stickers, add a photo, magazine clippings, pasta noodles etc.!)
- write/ draw a poem or quote
- write/ draw how you are committing to ending sexual and gender-based violence (visit Draw the Line or White Ribbon for ideas!)
- write a fact/ statistic on sexual or gender-based violence or something you learned from one of our workshops (click here for some quick facts!)
- do anything you want to your luminary, or do nothing at all to it and simply light it up!
*Submitting a photo of your luminary & tagging us in your social media post on September 16th will enter you for a chance to win 1 of MANY prizes donated by local businesses! Use #NipissingTBTN* (Only open to Nipissing District residents. If you wish to remain anonymous, you can DM or email your photo to us to be entered).
If you are a local business wanting to support this year’s TBTN with a prize or monetary donation, please contact our team at email@example.com.
EVENT AGENDA – SEPT. 16, 2021
- 7:00PM – Open Luminaria Arts-Based Activity (all ages) to inspire lantern decorating and spark togetherness through expression of art. (COVID-19 Pending: Virtual Live Stream via Facebook. Live Captions will be enabled.)
- 7:30PM – Opening remarks from Amelia Rising staff (includes Land Acknowledgement, Introductions and Netiquette)
- 7:40PM – Introduce speakers: Amelia Rising’s Executive Director, Rosemary*, Connie H., and Public Education Team.
- 8:15PM – Open Panel Q&A for speakers (may go past 8:30PM depending on volume of questions).
- 8:30PM – Event checkout to display luminary’s.
EVENT CONTACT PERSON: Kylee Bakowski (she/her), Public Educator firstname.lastname@example.org
Can't Participate? Donate!
If you’re unable to participate in either of the virtual events or displaying a luminary, but still wish to support Nipissing TBTN and Amelia Rising, we welcome a monetary donation. Donations will be used to continue to offer free counselling to survivors and public education services.